Dr. McDonnell obtained his medical degree from New Jersey Medical School in Newark, NJ after completing his undergraduate degree at The College of New Jersey. He completed his internship and residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery at Brown University and Rhode Island Hospital in Providence, RI. Dr. McDonnell then completed a fellowship in Orthopaedic Trauma at Brown University followed by a fellowship in Spine Surgery at Rothman Institute and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA.
Dr. McDonnell specializes in degenerative conditions and traumatic injuries of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. He treats conditions such as stenosis, myelopathy, radiculopathy, disc herniation, spondylolisthesis and fractures of both the spine and the extremities.
He has an extensive bibliography of original papers, book chapters and abstracts and has presented both nationally and internationally.
- Fellowship trained in Spine Surgery and Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rutgers University-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Served as Executive Chief Resident of the Orthopaedic Residency Program at Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital – 2011-2012
- Awarded the Haffenreffer House Staff Excellence Award at Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital – 2012
- Awarded the Lucas-Palumbo Spine Achievement Award at Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital – 2012
- Selected by his peers as Most Valuable Resident at Brown University – 2010
- Served as a member of the Graduate Medical Education Committee at Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital – 2010-2013
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, North American Spine Society, Cervical Spine Research Society, Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Has published numerous peer-reviewed articles, abstracts and chapters in the fields of Spine Surgery and Orthopaedic Trauma
- Former Collegiate Swimmer